[b-hebrew] Paper uploaded: Tagging Hebrew Tense, Aspect, Mood

furuli at online.no furuli at online.no
Sat Dec 13 02:24:27 EST 2003

Dear Ken,

Your approach of analyzing *all* the verbs is fine, and your
criticism that earlier works have just made partial analyzes is fine
as well.

I have the following comments though:

Note 4. "used differently".  What is the meaning of "differently"?
Because you mention the basic TAM factors in your introduction, the
reader may think that "differently" refers to one or more of these.
If you for instance are saying that the *meaning* of a verb, say a
WAYYIQTOL is different in different genre situations, I disagree with
your assumption. A verb form has the same meaning in any context, but
it can be used differently.

p 7.  I think that a participle used as substantive  (and as
adjective) must be a part of the database as well as all other uses
of the forms. They tell something about the use of participles, and
they may throw light on the use verbs in different books as well. In
my database of 70.000 verbs I have listed all participles and
infinitives as well as all the finite forms.

p 9.  WAW.  I am not sure what the terms "T" and  "F" refer to. If
the application of these letters is based on the Masoretic pointing,
I see no problem here. Because then the database only give data as to
Masoretic pointing. But if the letters are based on the judgement of
the compiler, then their use is circular. The purpose of the database
is to give a basis for the interpretation of Hebrew verbs, so the
compiler should  not assume *before* everything is compiled that WAWs
have a converting (or some other) power and that there are four
rather than two conjugations in Classical Hebrew. Conclusions
regarding this should be drawn when everything is compiled.

pp 17, 23. ASPECT. "temporal constituency (complete /progressive
recurring/ event)". This is the most problematic part.  You refer to
Broman Olsen's treatment of aspect. Her work on English aspect/tense
is excellent. But her application to Greek leaves much to be desired,
because Greek aspects are different. The basic weaknesses in studies
of the Hebrew verb are, 1) the term "aspect" is only vaguely defined
or not defined at all, and 2) the nature of English aspect is
projected into Hebrew. In my view, the best way to understand the
nature of Hebrew verbs, is first to make a thorough analysis of the
nature of Hebrew aspect compared with aspects in other languages, and
then to view the Hebrew verbal system in the light of the finds. To
force the aspectual system of one language upon Hebrew is a fallacy.

I see no problems with your classification by the letters "C, R, D"
on p 19. What you get in your database by such a classification are
groups of similar events, and that is OK. The problem I see, is to
connect these to "aspect". For example, the characteristics
"repetitive/iterative" is hardly an aspectual quality, but such a
situation is the function of what you call "lexical aspect" and
"grammatical aspect," and cannot be connected with "grammatical
aspect" alone. Iterative/repetitive situations can be expressed by
perfective verbs in Hebrew as well as imperfective ones.

As to the tagging of "complete" and "durative" events and relating
these to the aspects, I have the following comments: The term
"durative" (=continued action or state) in this context is a
misnomer, because it is an Aktionsart term and not an aspectual term.
A verb such as $YR (sing)  is durative "by birth". It can never cease
to be durative, and is just as durative when expressed by a QATAL as
when it is expressed by a YIQTOL. The term "complete" is problematic
as well. I have a list of close to one thousand QATALs with future
reference, most of which do not have the force of what we call future
perfect. So how can these be said to be "complete"? And if they are
not "complete," should they not be subsumed under the imperfective
rather than the perfective aspect, given the contrast
"durative/complete"? A classification on the basis of
"complete"/"durative" can be done, but the results are not directly
related to aspect.

And further, what does the terms really mean? For example, what does
the term "complete" mean in contrast to "completed"?  Comrie is
unclear in his discussion of aspect, and I think that Broman Olsen is
correct when she says that the perfective aspect in English is
expressed by perfect and not by simple past. This means that
"completed" is what should be applied to the English perfective
aspect and not "complete", as Comrie does. However, this does not
work in Hebrew, where both the imperfective and perfective aspect can
be used to describe completed actions or states. But if you apply the
term "complete" to a Hebrew verb, how can you by observation
distinguish between what is completed and what is complete? What are
the characteristics of a complete verbal event? And the same can be
asked regarding a "durative" event? How can you by observation know
that a verb is what you call "durative" and that others are not? I am
afraid that both terms at the outset entail circularity. If the terms
are not circular (it has already been decided that the perfective
aspect is complete and the imperfective is durative), there must be a
clear observational distinction between "complete" and "completed"
and between "durative" and "non-durative" events.

The creation of a database along the lines you suggest is a very fine
work. And I hope my criticisms, which I have tried to pose in a
positive way, can be of help of the further refining of your search
criteria.

Best regards

Rolf Furuli
University of Oslo