[b-hebrew] The meaning of "Zoan" in the HB

Karl Randolph kwrandolph at email.com
Fri Dec 12 23:19:07 EST 2003

Brian:

As a Hebrew root, C(N is used only once, in Isaiah 33:20 where it appears to refer to striking a tent.

The other seven times I found refer to a place name in Egypt. Apparently it was the name of a town that was quite ancient even at the time of the Exodus, seeing as it was built within a decade of Hebron, a town in existance at the time of Abraham (assuming the dates are accurate).

I have no trouble with the idea that this refers to a town that either had two or more names—a Canaanite name and an Egyptian one—or it could refer to a town that has since been destroyed and forgotten. The surviving records of the Babylonian and later Persian invasions show that they were quite destructive, making the second option a real possibility, or a combination of the two. All the Biblical references to Zoan predate the Babylonian invasion.

Karl W. Randolph.