[b-hebrew] Re: 22nd Psalm - Verb Object Again

Moshe Shulman mshulman at ix.netcom.com
Fri Dec 5 05:48:58 EST 2003

At 02:24 AM 12/5/2003 -0800, you wrote:
>On 04/12/2003 17:58, Karl Randolph wrote:
>>Peter:
>>Does the DSS have a K)RW or KRW, a medial Alep or not? It is my
>>impression that a medial Alep is seldom dropped, which would indicate to
>>me that we have a hapax legomenon here. If DSS omit the midial Alep, then
>>we are dealing with KRH.
>>Karl W. Randolph.
>The only DSS reading I know of is from the Nahal Hever fragment shown in
>http://www.torahresource.com/Newsletter/Ps22.16.pdf, which reads kaf -
>alef - resh - vav. I agree with you that this implies some kind of hapax,
>but K)R might be a variant of KRH. It seems likely that this was an
>original biliteral root KR which became triliteralised in various more or
>less synonymous ways e.g. KRH, KWR (which BDB gives as the root of M:KORAH
>and M:KERAH) and perhaps also K)R. Compare DKK = DWK = DK) = DKH.

The reading is K)RW, and this has some serious difficulties with it, since
the aleph makes it a poor conjugation for the verb KRH. I have always
considered this another example of poor writing skills, and the correct
reading should be K)RY, the last letter being an elongated yod, a very
common situation in the DSS. Otherwise we have a verb without a root.