[b-hebrew] Re: 22nd Psalm - Verb Object Again

Peter Kirk peterkirk at qaya.org
Fri Dec 5 05:24:52 EST 2003

On 04/12/2003 17:58, Karl Randolph wrote:

>Peter:
>
>Does the DSS have a K)RW or KRW, a medial Alep or not? It is my impression that a medial Alep is seldom dropped, which would indicate to me that we have a hapax legomenon here. If DSS omit the midial Alep, then we are dealing with KRH.
>
>Karl W. Randolph.

The only DSS reading I know of is from the Nahal Hever fragment shown in
http://www.torahresource.com/Newsletter/Ps22.16.pdf, which reads kaf -
alef - resh - vav. I agree with you that this implies some kind of
hapax, but K)R might be a variant of KRH. It seems likely that this was
an original biliteral root KR which became triliteralised in various
more or less synonymous ways e.g. KRH, KWR (which BDB gives as the root
of M:KORAH and M:KERAH) and perhaps also K)R. Compare DKK = DWK = DK) = DKH.

Someone wrote that this Nahal Hever fragment was pre-Christian. This is
not strictly true as it is dated 50-68 CE, but Christian influence is
unlikely.

peter at qaya.org (personal)
peterkirk at qaya.org (work)
http://www.qaya.org/