[b-hebrew] One question about Yonah

Karl Randolph kwrandolph at email.com
Mon Aug 18 17:02:09 EDT 2003

Hi All:

I was wondering the same question, though not limited to the example in Jonah.

I noticed what I think are over 100 different nouns where they are sometimes used a final hey as in the feminine, sometimes without, as in masculine. I would have to go back to verify all the uses, but it is common enough to be noticed.

I wonder what it portends. Is it a clue to ancient pronunciation that changed long before the Masorites? Does it have a linguistic effect long since forgotten?

Then there are many where the addition of a final hey changes the meaning, usually akin to the English adding a -ness or -ice to a noun. Is there a pattern to recognize which is which? I haven’t found it.

Has anyone else noticed this?

Karl W. Randolph.