[b-hebrew] [Biblical-languages] "Jerusalem" in Ezra

Peter Kirk peter.r.kirk at ntlworld.com
Thu Aug 14 10:12:40 EDT 2003

On 14/08/2003 06:27, John Baima wrote:

> I am struggling with how to render "Jerusalem" in Ezra (cf. 1:2ff) and
> what is to be done with the extra hireq. The electronic text I use has
> lamed and then vowel, accent, vowel. What is the proper way to handle
> this in Unicode?

This is under current discussion on the Unicode list and the related
Hebrew list. The closest thing to a consensus is that the character
U+034F CGJ should be inserted  before the second vowel. This should be
rendered correctly with the forthcoming SBL Hebrew font.

See also my draft paper "Issues in the Representation of Pointed Hebrew
in Unicode" available at www.qaya.org, section 3.3. If you want to get
involved in the rather lengthy discussions, see the list archives at
http://www.unicode.org/mail-arch/and
http://www.unicode.org/~ecartis/hebrew/.

peter at qaya.org (personal)
peterkirk at qaya.org (work)