[b-hebrew] hwh in Hifil?

B. M. Rocine brocine at twcny.rr.com
Mon Aug 11 09:26:42 EDT 2003

Hi John,

Hiphil yiqtol (or imperfect) of HWH would be yahweh like the analogous yarbeh (he will multiply, Exo 30:15).  Hiphil yiqtol of HWH is indeed unattested in the Hebrew Bible.

Neither the roots HYH nor its cognate HWH is always stative, so a hiphil of HWH is conceivable, meaning "call into existence."  Yahweh would mean "he calls (will call) into existence."

To me, the derivation of YHWH is controversial, so that I advise viewing all claims with reservation.

Shalom,

Bryan

B. M. Rocine
Living Word Church