[b-hebrew] Proverbs 3:3 - subordinate participles?

Steve Godfrey sgodfrey at crmnet.org
Sun Apr 20 13:25:49 EDT 2003

Dear list members,

This is my first post to your list, so please extend grace as needed.  I
didn’t see a transliteration scheme posted, so I’m improvising a bit.

In Proverbs 3:3, how should the verbs QASHAR and KATAV be parsed.  The vowel
pointing seems confusing.  They look to me like participles, but the parsing
guides I consulted takes them as imperatives.  Might they be taken as
participles, thus making their respective clauses subordinate to the first
clause of the verse.  The affect might then be depicted in English as:

Let lovingkindness and truthfulness never leave you
          binding them around your neck
          writing them on the tablet of your soul

If you would, please copy any responses to my email address.

Thanks,

Steve Godfrey
Milwaukee, Wisconsin