The daughter of Jeftah died?

Matthew Miller biblicalscribe at hotmail.com
Mon Sep 30 13:46:57 EDT 2002

A couple of things to note about Jeptah:

1. He is never praised for keeping his oath, but only for winning the
battle.
2. Even if he did kill his daughter, it cannot be right. For, this would
mean that, anytime one desires to sin, all he need do is "vow" to sin, and
then he will be morally obligated to sin.

>From: "David Stabnow" <dstabno at lifeway.com>
>To: Biblical Hebrew <b-hebrew at franklin.oit.unc.edu>
>Subject: [b-hebrew] RE: The daughter of Jeftah died?
>Date: Mon, 30 Sep 2002 12:32:53 -0500
>

>Dave Washburn wrote: "We might compare this rash oath of his with that of
>Saul when he forbade his army to eat or drink.  The interesting contrast is
>that Saul relented, both when he saw that it was a foolish vow and when he
>saw that it would cost Jonathan's life, and AFAIK he is never called on the
>carpet for backing away from the oath."
>
>I can't think of any way that Saul was directly punished for going back on
>his oath -- that is, there is no punishment of Saul with a comment from a
>prophet or from the narrator that says that the punishment is on account of
>releasing Jonathan from the oath.  But if the book of Samuel is about the
>contrast between Saul and David, it is interesting to note that the people
>appreciated David's integrity in contrast to Saul's instability (2 Sam
>3:35-36; contrast 1 Sm 28:23), and God rewarded David's "house" in place of
>Saul's (1 Sam 15:28; 2 Sam 3:1).
>
>A couple of examples: David made an oath to Jonathan (1 Sam 20:14-17,42;
>see also 24:21-22) and honored it with regard to Mephibosheth (2 Sam
>9:1-13) and the burial of Jonathan's (and Saul's) bones (2 Sam 21:1-14).
>David kept promises to Shimei (2 Sam 19:23) and Joab (1 Chron 11:6), and
>honored Saul as "the Lord's anointed," despite the disadvantages of such
>integrity.  Saul, on the other hand, eradicated sorcery but then sought out
>a sorcerer when God would no longer hear his prayers for guidance (1 Sm
>28).
>
>Dave Stabnow
>Bible Translation Editor
>Broadman & Holman Publishers
>Nashville, Tennessee
>615-251-5851
>david.stabnow at lifeway.com
>
>     Therefore, whether you eat or drink, or whatever you do,
>do everything for God's glory.  (1 Cor 10:31, HCSB)
>

>---
>You are currently subscribed to b-hebrew as: [biblicalscribe at hotmail.com]
>To unsubscribe, forward this message to
>$subst('Email.Unsub')

"Invariably exacerbating and complicated verbage consistently effects in me
repulsion of prolific proportions."