Hebrew font for Linux users

Kirk Lowery klowery at wts.edu
Fri Sep 27 10:31:10 EDT 2002

Dave Washburn wrote:
> What about Linux users?????????
>

>>Friends,
>>
>>This was just posted on the Biblical Languages list. It's a significant event.
>>
>>Blessings,
>>
>>Kirk

Dave,

I have not yet had time to experiment with this. But here are the pieces to the
puzzle on Linux:

1. You need to have the FreeType font engine installed on your machine. It must
be a version >= 2.1.2. See <http://freetype.sourceforge.net/opentype/index.html>

2. You need to install the fonts so that X-windows will load the FreeType
extension module, and add the font directory to your XF86Config-4 file. For an
example of how this is done using FreeType and Devangari fonts, see
<http://rohini.ncst.ernet.in/indix/doc/HOWTO/Devanagari-HOWTO-2.html>

3. You need to extract the Ezra fonts under a Windows machine and then copy them
over to Linux. (Could we have gzip'ed tarballs for downloading, Peter?)

The good news is that when you get FreeType installed, all you have to do to
install new OpenType fonts is drop them into the proper directory and run a
command or two.

Why not try it out?

Good luck! And please report back on anything you learn.

Blessings,

Kirk
--
Kirk E. Lowery, Ph.D.
Director, Westminster Hebrew Institute

Theorie ist, wenn man alles weiss und nichts klappt.
Praxis ist, wenn alles klappt und keiner weiss warum.
Bei uns sind Theorie und Praxis vereint:
nichts klappt und keiner weiss warum!