SV: The daughter of Jeftah died?

Yohanan Shalom b. David ybd_talmidtorah at hotmail.com
Thu Sep 26 20:13:20 EDT 2002

Where in the T"NK does it suggest human sacrifice?  I do not see human
sacrifice here.  I see Yiftakh as offering his daughter as service to
YHWH.

She is not the only person in the T"NK that has been dedicated to YHWH's
service.  The n'zirim were offered to YHWH at birth, to his service that
is.

Yirme'yahu 19:5 They have built altars to Ba'al, to put their children to
the fire as burnt offerings to Ba'al -- which I never commanded, never
decreed, and which never came to My mind.

Therefore, unless we see here an event that YHWH detests, having never
come to His mind.  But if YHWH detested such an event, as having human
sacrifice, then why would YHWH deliver the enemies unto Jepthah's hand?

Yohanan