Iron and Bronze. The tribe of Dan

Michael Banyai Banyai at t-online.de
Wed Sep 18 14:31:00 EDT 2002

Dear Yigal,

nothing against theories, even if their argumentation is more than wondrous,

but what are you than doing with the occurence of Shiloh in the text of Gen.49:10?

> So the assertion that Dan WILL judge "as one of the tribes of Israel",
> reflects a hope that one day the "whole" 12-tribe nation of Israel will be
> restored, including a tribe like Dan, which seems to have disappeared from
> the map of Israel. This would probably mean that the "blessing" was
> composed sometime between the time of Solomon and the post-exilic period
> (very specific, right?).

Shiloh has according to Finkelstein disappeared long before the time of Solomon, even if we record the biblical figure of the prophet Ahijah of Shiloh in the late years of Solomon/ early Jerobeam.

Would you expand about this division of the text between the predavidic period and postsolomonic times?

I don´t see here any evidence in favour of the exposed theory, still less having been recognised(I may err here), but rather an apodictic statement about what this Dan occurence might reflect.

Best regards,

Michael Bányai