Psalm 22:16 like a lion they mauled, the emendation question

Dave Washburn dwashbur at nyx.net
Tue Sep 17 08:22:03 EDT 2002

> On Sun 15 Sep 2002 (20:25:17), cpaman at bellsouth.net wrote:
> > A statement was made that the DSS did not contain Ps. 22:16.  In "The Dead
> > Sea Scrolls Bible" the verse is listed.  It states that the phrase in the
> > MS they have has "they have pierced" and not "like a lion" as in most
> > Hebrew MSS. [snip]
>
>  Dear Ron,
>
>  Thank you for that. I have Michael Wise, Martin Abegg Jr and Edward Cook,
>  /The Dead Sea Scrolls, a New Translation/, Harper Collins, San Francisco
>  and London, 1996. From this it appears that Psalm 22 is not found among
>  the DSS so far published. Hence my "Individual Lament".

Hi Ben,
An easy conclusion to draw.  The problem is that that particular
book doesn't include the exclusively biblical scrolls such as the great
Isaiah scroll, the Psalms scroll from cave 11, or 4QPs(f).  The DSS
Bible mentioned above provides a good supplement to it.

Dave Washburn
http://www.nyx.net/~dwashbur
"Don't let your mind wander.
It's too little to be left alone."