Psalm 22:16 like a lion they mauled, the emendation question

Dave Washburn dwashbur at nyx.net
Mon Sep 16 10:20:04 EDT 2002

> A statement was made that the DSS did not contain Ps. 22:16.  In "The Dead
> Sea Scrolls Bible" the verse is listed.  It states that the phrase in the
> MS they have has "they have pierced" and not "like a lion" as in most
> Hebrew MSS.  Anyone have any further information on this?

Psalm 22:16, in a fairly fragmentary state, is preserved in 4QPs(f) and is
published in DJD 16, transcription on page 88.  The reading is uncertain; the
DJD transcription shows 2 uncertain letters in this word, KR, followed by W in
brackets (indicating a restoration by the editor).  So it looks like this:

K?R?[W

I'm guessing that the reason the DSS Bible reads "they pierced" is because the
aleph appears to have been elided, something that likely wouldn't happen with
the word for "lion."  I'd be inclined to agree, but wouldn't go to the stake for it.

Dave Washburn
http://www.nyx.net/~dwashbur
"Don't let your mind wander.
It's too little to be left alone."