Psalm 22:16 like a lion they mauled, the emendation

Ben and Jo Crick ben.crick at argonet.co.uk
Sun Sep 15 11:28:50 EDT 2002

On Sun 15 Sep 2002 (08:42:56), mshulman at ix.netcom.com wrote:
>  From here we can see how the JPS has translated it:
>
> "For dogs have encompassed me; a company of evil-doers have inclosed me;
> like a lion, they are at my hands and my feet."

 I see what you mean, Moshe; but if it were really "like a lion", it would
 not be at one's hands and feet, but at the nape of one's neck. One bite of
 the big cat's canines dislocates the cervical vertebrae and causes instant
 death.

 On the other hand, hunting dogs always go for the lower limbs, to tear the
 hamstrings so that the quarry can no longer run, and falls to the ground
 to be finished off.

 Shalom,
 Ben
 <ben.crick at argonet.co.uk>