Iron and Bronze.

Ian Hutchesson mc2499 at mclink.it
Thu Sep 12 22:27:30 EDT 2002

>> Even Genesis seems dimly aware of Dan's position. See
>> Gen 49:16, which says, "Dan shall judge his people as if
>> one of the tribes of Israel." -- k'xd $b+y y$r'l --, ie
>> Dan was not a tribe of Israel, but shall perform like
>> one
>
>How on earth do you justify translating K(XD "as *if* one"?  That's
>not what it says, and every English translation I have found reads
>"as one of the tribes," which means something very different.

Sorry, Dave, but what on earth do you mean by "as one of the
tribes"? The text doesn't say that Dan *is* a tribe of Israel,
but is *like* a tribe of Israel. k- normally supplies a simile
to show that something [A] is like something else [B], ie A is
not B, suggesting Dan was not a tribe of Israel.

Ian