Eve/Chavvah.

Israel A. Cohen izzy_cohen at bmc.com
Wed Sep 11 13:58:22 EDT 2002

> I would have thought that the Greek equivalent sound
> of khet was chi and of kaf was kappa. Perhaps the
> pronunciation of the Hebrew was different from what
> we understand it.

It seems one ancient het had a W-sound, parallel to
ancient Greek digamma and Germanic Wynn. Digamma and
its W-sound dropped out of Greek prior to the Classical
period, so words which contained digamma ended up with
a breathing-sound or a void.

Let me know if you want a list of words where
Hebrew het is parallel to W in Germanic --> English.

dosh XaM = WarM greetings :-)
izzy_cohenb at bmc.com