meaning of golem

Ian Goldsmith iangoldsmith1969 at yahoo.co.uk
Tue Sep 10 07:24:25 EDT 2002

Matthew.

'Golem/galam' as far as I understand it means 'rolled
up', something that is as yet unformed or worked.

This could be applied easily to an unborn child, being
not yet formed. I also don't see why the author
wouldn't be familiar with an unborn child.

People and animals regularly miscarry their
children/offspring sadly, even at the time this was
written.

The Psalms refer to man being formed in the depth of
the earth I believe, is there a connection here worth
looking into?

Thanks.
Ian.

 --- Matthew Anstey <ansteyfamily at optusnet.com.au>
wrote: > Dear list,

> BDB gives the meaning of golem in psa 149:16 as
> "embryo" but would the
> author have known about embryos? Any other
> suggestions for the meaning here
> of this hapax? And do you think it is related to
> galam "to fold up", gelom
> "large garment", both also hapaxes?
>
> Any help would be appreciated?
>
> Cheers,
>
> Matthew Anstey
> Semantic Domains of Biblical Hebrew Dictionary
> Project
> United Bible Societies
>
> Vrije Universiteit, Amsterdam
> Faculteit der Godgeleerdheid
> Residence: Kambah, ACT, Australia
> anstey at postmark.net
> +61 (0)2 6296 4044
>

> ---
> You are currently subscribed to b-hebrew as:
> [iangoldsmith1969 at yahoo.co.uk]
> To unsubscribe, forward this message to
> $subst('Email.Unsub')
> To subscribe, send an email to
> join-b-hebrew at franklin.oit.unc.edu.

=====
Ian Goldsmith.
England.

Dibrah Torah kilshone bnei-adam
'The Torah spoke in the language of ordinary men.'
Berakot 31b