another abbreviation

Maurice A. O'Sullivan mauros at iol.ie
Fri Sep 6 18:11:44 EDT 2002

At 17:44 06/09/02, Andrew & Debby Kulikovsky wrote:

>Cohen's book contains another abbreviation which I can't find on my list
>of standard abbreviations. It is "Gen R III.1"

I see you have already been given an explanation of this -- could I
suggest, as a start:
Neusner, Jacob. What is Midrash?. Philadelphia: Fortress, 1987.

and in greater depth ( and more pages -- 677 of them, in fact <g> )
Neusner's volume in the Anchor Bible Reference Library:
Neusner, Jacob. An Introduction to Rabbinic Literature.  New York:
Doubleday, 1994.

You will find a review of the latter book
at:  http://www.bookreviews.org/pdf/2070_1111.pdf

Enjoy!

mauros at iol.ie