strings of nouns/adjectives

Andrew & Debby Kulikovsky hermeneutics at kulikovskyonline.net
Thu Sep 5 11:23:21 EDT 2002

At 11:04 AM 5/09/2002 -0400, Trevor Peterson wrote:
> >===== Original Message From Andrew & Debby Kulikovsky
><hermeneutics at kulikovskyonline.net> =====
>(offspring):

> >>Yes, "Hayyah", "living thing".
> >
> >In my GRAMCORD text, it is parsed as an adjective? Why do you say it is a
> >definite noun?
>
>Why not read the first two words as a construct phrase and the last as an
>adjectival modifier on the whole thing? You still end up with the suggested
>translation above.

Which translation? Yigal's? I don't see how. Wouldn't it be "a swarm of
living breathing things"? That would actually make a lot of sense
especially since sherez is singular (collective noun).

>  BTW, why do you think a *definite* noun is needed?

You're right - it doesn't need to be definite.

cheers,
Andrew
--
Andrew & Debby Kulikovsky
Check out my Biblical Hermeneutics web site:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?