timing in 2 Chron 21.19

Andrew & Debby Kulikovsky hermeneutics at kulikovskyonline.net
Thu Sep 5 04:55:00 EDT 2002

Hi All!

The time phrases in 2 Chron 21:19 are confusing me a bit. The first part of
the verse says:

wayehi leyamim miyyamim ukeet ze't haqqez leyamim shenayim yaz'u me'an.

Now, the most translation translate this as:
"In the course of time, at the end of the second year, his bowels came out...

But this just doesn't seem right to me. I'm not sure the infinite contruct
ze't is handled correctly, and I don't understand the contextual reasons
for translating yamim as "years" rather than days. Could it be that in the
course of time, Jehoram began to get terrible pains which, after two days,
caused his stomach to explode?

cheers,
Andrew
--
Andrew & Debby Kulikovsky
Check out my Biblical Hermeneutics web site:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?