Iron and Bronze.

Ian Goldsmith iangoldsmith1969 at yahoo.co.uk
Wed Sep 4 11:30:17 EDT 2002

Yigal.

> No, but the point is (forgive me for butting in)
> that the mention of Iron
> is neither a proof of the antiquity of iron or of
> the lateness of the text.
> Both have to be evaluated independantly, and then
> combined. But if it could
> be established that iron was not known (or at least
> not used) until the 8th
> century, this would be proof that at least that part
> of that redaction of
> that particular text did not reach its present form
> until the 8th century.

Perhaps true.. but it can't, can it.
So hopefully we are left with the unprovable
possibility that the text is early... or perhaps
late.. who knows. What we can say at the moment is
that we cannot be absolutely certain!

Kinda of leaves the area open I hope.

Thanks again and shalom Yigal.
Ian.

=====
Ian Goldsmith.
England.

Dibrah Torah kilshone bnei-adam
'The Torah spoke in the language of ordinary men.'
Berakot 31b