ancient reference system...?

Polycarp66 at aol.com Polycarp66 at aol.com
Tue Sep 3 10:16:59 EDT 2002

In a message dated 9/3/2002 9:48:54 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
decaen at chass.utoronto.ca writes:

> dear friends,
> before the chapters and verses of the high middle ages, reference was made
> to the palestinian sedarim and babylonian parashot. can one find canonical
> lists of names, titles, etc. for these particular divisions?  for example,
> exodus ch. 18, as what ....?  "yithro"? exodus ch. 20 as "ten
> commandments"?  etc?  any directions will be appreciated....

I suspect that the Parsha might have been used.  This is the weekly reading
of the Torah and would thus be a larger section than chapter & verse, but it
would have been manageable.  See <A HREF="http://www.chassidus.net/">http://www.chassidus.net/</A>.  Click on search
and enter "parsha".  Terms are explained at the end of the sections.

gfsomsel