mevaseret in Isaiah (was company or women)

David Taylor dave201 at mail.com
Tue May 28 15:25:10 EDT 2002

----- Original Message -----
From: "Peter Kirk" <Peter_Kirk at sil.org>
Date: Mon, 27 May 2002 19:59:53 +0100
To: Biblical Hebrew <b-hebrew at franklin.oit.unc.edu>
Subject: RE: mevaseret in Isaiah (was company or women)

> One translation tradition (e.g. KJV) understands "mevasseret Zion" in
> Isaiah 40:9 as adjective and noun: "O Zion, herald of good tidings"
> (NRSV). This would explain the feminine: Zion is feminine.

If it this is the case then it would be "Zion mevasseret" and not the other way round. The only way that I can think of where the noun follows the adjective in Hebrew is if it is in the middle of the sentence. For example: " Mevasseret, Zion, be-daver tov"

Regards,

Dave

http://www.mail.com/?sr=signup