OFF TOPIC Modern Hebrew question

Jonathan D. Safren yon_saf at bezeqint.net
Mon May 20 04:32:49 EDT 2002

Matthew Ansley wrote:.

> I would think that no one person
can learn all the requisite secondary languages, secondary literature, other
skills etc.

True. But when you consider that the study of Modern Hebrew both contributes to strengthening your fluency in Biblical Hebrew and enables you read the secondary literature in MH (Loewenstamm, Cassuto, Weinfeld, Zakovitch, Kalimi, Japhet, Tov, Rofe, just to name a few), this places MH higher in the order of preference than Italian, Dutch or French. And so, as I wrote only half facetiously in my first posting on this subject, Modern Hebrew has replaced German as the most important Semitic language.
Sincerely,
Jonathan D. Safren
Dept. of Biblical Studies
Beit Berl College