modern hebrew....

Jim West jwest at highland.net
Sun May 19 13:10:49 EDT 2002

At 10:45 AM 5/19/02 -0400, you wrote:
>How can you study the Bible without
>studying the secondary literature?
>Liz

kierkegaard once said that modern writers spend far too much time reading
and not enough time thinking for themselves.  he was right.  eduard
schweizer lectured to a class i took in grad school as a visiting professor
and he said the same thing.  wouldnt it be nice to read something that wasnt
laced with 5000 opinions?  something insightful, reasonable, readable, and
intelligent without having the poor creature die the death of a thousand
qualifications.  i fear that these days we are so specialized, so concerned
with the views of others, that we have surrendered our minds to the views of
others.

just my perception of the unfortunate trend in biblical studies.

jim

Jim West, ThD
Adjunct Professor of Biblical Studies
Quartz Hill School of Theology