Off-Topic Modern Hebrew-Lyosov

Randall Buth ButhFam at compuserve.com
Sat May 18 19:58:14 EDT 2002

shalom adon Lyosov

>  Linguistically speaking, claims about internalisation of BH via
>BH ulpan (=uncritical mixture of languages) are ridiculous and
>methodologically dangerous.

Please be careful to distinguish between what we actually do in these
ulpans versus what some people from the other side of the world
say about them. It appears that you have jumped to some rather
strong conclusions based on misrepresentations.

An uncritical mixture of languages is anathema.

On the positive speaking real BH in class turns out to be very effective
pedagogically for the students. And speaking the language does
lay down first layers of internalization every bit as much as if done
in a Goethe Institute or Alliance Francaise for German and French.
It turns out that all languages are equally dead (or alive) in the
classroom and can even be learned from people who speak them
as a second language.

shavua tov,

Randall Buth, PhD
Director, Biblical Language Center