Modern Hebrew --2

Randall Buth ButhFam at compuserve.com
Sat May 18 19:57:57 EDT 2002

shalom Qobbi veHevre,

The thread seems to have gone done funny paths over the holidays.

(TP)
>> Another would be to develop a hybrid of sorts, which is what
>>I suspect happens in a program like Randall's Biblical Ulpan.

(JW)
>a hybrid is- as such- a non reality in that it is never found anywhere in
>the real world.  so- if we were to pursue this- the construction of a
hybrid
>brand of hebrew would make us all better exegetes.  so who will invent
this
>hybrid and how will it be taught.  will it be in the manner of ebonics for
>example?

Would it help for Randall Buth to say that he is against hybrids for
Biblical Hebrew?
We aim to teach 100% Biblical Hebrew, no gapfilling.
We tell students that BH is full of holes and then carefully
steer around them while teaching and drilling. If students want a
fuller language they are welcome to go on to mishnaic and modern
hebrew.

blessings,

Randall Buth
jerusalem