OFF TOPIC Modern Hebrew question

Dave Washburn dwashbur at nyx.net
Sat May 18 13:14:14 EDT 2002

I get the feeling this discussion is getting out of hand, at least in
some quarters.  That said, I have to go with Jim West on this one.  I
do read some Modern Hebrew, but I don't speak it because there's
nobody around here to talk to.  For reading some of the secondary
literature, yes, it can be an asset.  For exegesis, no way.  I believe it
was William Chomsky who said that Modern Hebrew is more an
Indo-European language than a Semitic one, especially in terms of
syntax.  That's not going to be much help in sorting out the
mysteries of Biblical Hebrew.
Dave Washburn
http://www.nyx.net/~dwashbur
You know you're a lousy artist when you can't
draw a straight line on an Etch-a-Sketch.