OFF TOPIC Modern Hebrew question

Jim West jwest at highland.net
Fri May 17 14:34:47 EDT 2002

At 11:17 AM 5/17/02 -0400, you wrote:
>I agree with the contention, but another angle on the issue is, who would
>teach Shakespeare without being able at least to read Modern English, even to
>converse in it? I don't know, because I've never gone through such a program,
>but I wonder whether it is normal for someone to teach older stages of, say,
>German, French, or English without knowing the modern form of the language?

one question-- what on earth does MODERN english have to do with
shakespeare?  he didnt write modern english.  who cares if someone can read
modern english if they are teaching russian students.  they would want to
read middle english wouldnt they- if they wished to read billy's stuff and
modern english and middle english are leagues apart!

jim

Jim West, ThD
Adjunct Professor of Biblical Studies
Quartz Hill School of Theology