Interpretation and language development

Bill Burks rwburks at flash.net
Thu Mar 28 19:04:39 EST 2002

Michael,

Emanuel Tov has written an excellent book on Textual Criticism which discusses the
development of the text.  He also discusses how the development of the text led to
different readings and therefore different interpretations of the passages. He also
discusses the development of the LXX, Vulgate, Samaritian text, Aramaic targum, and the
Qumron documents and discusses how some of the copying methods were sometimes affected
by religious considerations of the copiest or translator.

I am not sure if this is what you are looking for, however I believe it is an excellent
work, and may help to understand how the development of different readings of the text
were based on factors including religious view points.  These readings of course affect
our interpretation today.

Regards,

Bill Burks