MiQ:TaL formative

Peter Kirk Peter_Kirk at sil.org
Wed Mar 27 02:55:19 EST 2002

These noun forms are closely analogous to the common Arabic MAQTAL
pattern which is also used for places; the change of the first consonant
from A to I is a regular (and quite late, post-LXX) shift in Hebrew. So
any derivation from MIY or MIN- must be very ancient, back in
proto-Semitic times or earlier, which really takes us into the realm of
pointless speculation. As the M- preformative is regularly used for
participles in other conjugations in both Arabic and Hebrew, it seems
more likely that this form was originally a participle whose meaning
became frozen.

Peter Kirk