Bara: unique?

Polycarp66 at aol.com Polycarp66 at aol.com
Tue Mar 26 15:29:51 EST 2002

In a message dated 3/26/2002 2:10:32 PM Eastern Standard Time,
language_lover64801 at yahoo.com writes:

>> What do you think of 1 Sam 2.29 in this regard? (Sorry about that R")$iYT
in
>> there).
>>
>> LfMfH TiB:(:a+W. B.:ZiB:XiY W.B:MiN:XfTiY ):a$eR CiW.iYTiY Mf(oWN
WaT.:KaB."D
>> )eT_BfNeYKf MiM.eNiY  ** L:HaB:RiY):aKeM **  M"R")$iYT K.fL_MiN:XaT Yi&
Rf)"L
>> L"(aM.iY

>L:HAB:RIY):AKEM [lehavri'achem] comes from a different root-meaning
>altogether.  It is "to make fat," and only occurs in the hiphil (and only
>here?).  B.FRF) does not have a hiphil form, does it?  I can see BFRF)
>with a qal ("he created") and niphal ("he was created"), but a hiphil ("he
>caused to create"), I'm not sure.  Does that occur anywhere?  It's not at
>all the meaning in this verse (1 Sam. 2.29).

Regards,
Jason

Jason,

This is an interesting question.  When is BfRf) not BfRf?  We do have
homophones and even words with the same spelling which have different
meanings (such as "bear" 1. an animal 2. carry 3. give birth 4. tend to a
particular direction.  Is this truly another word or is it simply another
significance for the same word (1. is obviously a noun)?

GfSomsel