MiQ:TaL formative

Polycarp66 at aol.com Polycarp66 at aol.com
Tue Mar 26 09:56:31 EST 2002

In a message dated 3/26/2002 1:15:22 AM Eastern Standard Time,
language_lover64801 at yahoo.com writes:

My curiosity is about the symantic [semantic] function of words
representing PLACE NOUNS that are formed with am Mi-
preformative.
_______________

I was wondering if some such matter was your concern.  It was, however, late
so I dashed off a reply thinking you would reply again should that not be
what you wanted (and you did say you didn't have references available).

I think there are three things (at least) that need to be considered no
matter how far-fetched they may seem.

1. Some stems form the participle with M.  The part. combination MiXXX is not

     attested (though MiTXXX appears in the Hithpa'el).  M: in the pi'el
might be
     considered.
2. MiY (interrog. pron.) is sometimes used of things.  E.g., Gn 33.8

     WaY.o)MeR MiY L:Kf K.fL_HaM.aX:aNeH HaZ.eH

3. MiN usually appears as Mi. (i.e., with a dagesh in following letter) or M"
before
    gutterals and R THOUGH IT DOES OCCUR AS **  Mi **.  Since this can have a
     locative meaning, it appears attractive.

GfSomsel