Lognazim

Silberman, Alfred alfred.silberman at baesystems.com
Mon Mar 25 16:14:02 EST 2002

My guess is that the word you are looking for is "lo`ez". see Psalms 114:1.

Al Silberman

Subject: Lognazim
From: "Kevin L. Barney" <klbarney at yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 20 Mar 2002 14:07:59 -0500

A friend sent me the below question, and I have been unable to come up
with a definitive answer.  My guess is that "Lognazim" is *lo gnazim*,
meaning something like "not treasures," but that's just a guess.  Can
anyone shed any light on the word Lognazim as it was used in the KJV
introduction?

[text of question follows]

In the original introduction to the KJV, "The
Translators to the Reader,"
Miles Smith says: "The Jews long before Christ,
called all other nations,
Lognazim, which is little better than barbarous."

My Hebrew is pretty minimal.  Can anyone here
confirm Smith's statement?
What is the Hebrew word that he's rendering
Lognazim?