Psalm 2:12 and Proverbs 31 ben/bar

Lisbeth S. Fried lizfried at umich.edu
Fri Mar 22 09:37:26 EST 2002

Gladly:
Let me recite the decree of YHWH; he said to me
"You are my son, this day have I begotten you.
Ask wealth of me and I will give it;
       the nations will be your patrimony,
      and your possessions the ends of the earth.
You will break them with a rod of iron,
            Shatter them like a potter's jar."
And now, O kings, be prudent,
        Take warning, you rulers of the earth.
Serve YHWH with reverence,
        and live in trembling, O mortal men!
Lest he grow angry and your assembly perish
        for his ire flares up quickly.
How blest are all who trust in him.

You are correct, GfSomsel, that ancient Hebrew did not
have word divisions. My first Hebrew teacher, Prof.
Krahmolkov, told us that if we were in doubt about a line,
always to remove all the nikudot, the matres lexiones,
and  the word divisions and then translate.

I like Dahood's translation because it makes sense that
since the king is speaking here, he would be addressing
the foreign kings, and reminding them they don't live forever,
rather than speaking of himself in the third person. If the latter,
there would have been an aleph suffixed, as has been noted.

Best,
Liz