Psalm 2:12 and Proverbs 31 ben/bar

Polycarp66 at aol.com Polycarp66 at aol.com
Fri Mar 22 00:44:32 EST 2002

In a message dated 3/21/2002 11:55:37 PM Eastern Standard Time,
lizfried at umich.edu writes:

Mitchell Dahood, a Catholic priest,
translates it "Serve YHWH with reverence and
live in trembling, O mortal men!"
He reads O mortal men with no consonental
changes: ne$e qaber, men of the grave,
or men appointed for the grave.
He compares i$ mawet (I kings 2:26)
bene mawet (1 Sam 26:16).

Now that makes sense.  The RSV and NRSV translate "kiss his feet", but that
requires emending the text from BR to RGLYW.  Maintaining the consonantal
text is always preferable.  In the oldest manuscripts the letters were not
always separated (in fact, as I recall, they usually weren't).  Liz, could
you cite some more of Dahood's translation for context?  I'm afraid I left
most of my books in storage.

GfSomsel