bereshit (translations) Paul

Ian Hutchesson mc2499 at mclink.it
Thu Mar 21 08:03:36 EST 2002

>It seems to me that Ian has a strong presupposition against his #4, such

Presupposition?

>that when his first alternative to it was proved baseless

Baseless?

>he retreated
>to another, then another, then back to all three claiming to accept all
>of them except for #3. But I don't understand his problem with #4.

1) br'$yt is unqualified; all b-nouns are qualified;
2) six day creation;
3) comparison with the Babylonian creation account:
   after the creator (Marduk/Yahweh) vanquishes the sea (Tiamat/tehom)
   with his wind, the creation begins; this includes the cutting in
   two of the sea to form the waters above and the waters below.

I see no reason for choosing #4.

Ian