Egyptian/Hebrew "y" Adjectives Last Try

Polycarp66 at aol.com Polycarp66 at aol.com
Tue Mar 19 20:49:12 EST 2002

In a message dated 3/19/2002 1:58:59 PM Eastern Standard Time,
biblicalscribe at hotmail.com writes:

I never received any response to my original post on this topic, and so I
will try one more time. In my Egyptian hieroglyphic studies, I have
learned that in Egyptian, one may form a string of descriptive
substantives and even verbs into a single adjective by adding the "y"
ending.  I also know this is very common in Arabic. My question is, are
there any examples of this phenomenon in the Hebrew Bible?  In particular,
could some of the names of monuments and wells, such as Be'er-Lahai-Roi or
Be'er Sheva, be such examples?

Perhaps the problem is that no one quite certain what you are asking.  You
seem to be asking for a string of adjectives.  I'm not sure there are any
strings which are treated in this fashion in Hebrew.  What you will find is
single nouns which have a "y" ending.  You will encounter a number of these
in Gen 10.15 ff.  If this isn't what you want, I don't think you'll find it
in Hebrew.

GfSomsel