lationship between b-nouns and clauses

Ian Hutchesson mc2499 at mclink.it
Tue Mar 19 16:41:59 EST 2002

>I do not see "b-nouns" governing clauses (or absolute nouns, for that
>matter) at all.  "Governing" does not describe the relationship at all.  The
>"b-noun" is not the most important aspect of such a structure, nor does it
>limit the action of any associated activity.  If anything, what is
>associated with the "b-noun," whether expressed or implied, governs the
>"b-noun," as it does limit and control the application of that word.

That's what subordinate clauses are all about, I would have
thought. Nevertheless, we talk about the words being limited
by them as governing under normal circumstances.

>I have looked at your examples and have found any focus of attention on the
>"b-noun" is misplaced.

What is the grammatical relationship which exists between the
time phrase (such as those I've posted, mainly in the form
b-noun, though I have posted an example of l-noun) and the
clause which follows it?

In each instance we find an apparent qualification of a time
phrase (or as you put it a limit or control of the
application of it).

Ian