VIRUS WARNING (Way Off Topic / Last Email)

Ken Smith kens at 180solutions.com
Tue Mar 19 11:32:38 EST 2002

I'm not saying that there aren't email viruses.  There certainly are:
I'm an MCSE and network administrator myself.  I'm well aware of all the
email viruses that are out there (Melissa, Happy99, I Love You, Anna
Kournikova, etc.).  I've gotten plenty in my own inbox.  What I AM
saying is that 99.9% of the email virus *warnings* that I've ever
received ARE hoaxes.

It's one of my life's minor missions to beat into people's heads that
before they send *any* virus warning, or for that matter, any story
about little Johnny with no arms and legs who will get 1 cent from the
American Cancer Society for every friend you forward his email to, that
they just check with the relevant authorities.  For viruses, it's
http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/hoax.html.  For urban
legends, it's http://www.snopes2.com.

But that's WAY off-topic.  Sorry to have brought it up.

Ken Smith