bereshit (translations) GfSomsel

Ian Hutchesson mc2499 at mclink.it
Mon Mar 18 23:10:23 EST 2002

>> This is turning your back on evidence and opting for
>> the modern English translation as your argument. This
>> unfortunately is no argument. The reason for what you
>> see in modern English translations is clear and I have
>> already explained it. This has nothing to do with
>> the original text as the Vulgate, LXX, Schlach and
>> Italian translations show you.
>> _
>
>I hardly think this is a just accusation.  As I understand Peter, he was
>speaking of the Hebrew when he said  "if I see convincing evidence that a
>b-noun time phrase in Hebrew can govern more than one finite clause
>coordinated by w-, then . . ."  That he would make a comparison with English

GfSomsel (a simple name might be nice!),

Let me invent a criterion: if I see convincing evidence that
a time phrase such as br'$yt can stand at the beginning of a
book without any qualification, then I might consider it
possible in the case of Gen 1:1, otherwise I will consider the
notion simply unsupportable speculation.

It's not difficult to do this sort of thing.

Ian