bereshit (translations)

Polycarp66 at aol.com Polycarp66 at aol.com
Mon Mar 18 22:28:51 EST 2002

In a message dated 3/18/2002 5:19:03 PM Eastern Standard Time,
mc2499 at mclink.it writes:

> This is turning your back on evidence and opting for
> the modern English translation as your argument. This
> unfortunately is no argument. The reason for what you
> see in modern English translations is clear and I have
> already explained it. This has nothing to do with
> the original text as the Vulgate, LXX, Schlach and
> Italian translations show you.
> _

I hardly think this is a just accusation.  As I understand Peter, he was
speaking of the Hebrew when he said  "if I see convincing evidence that a
b-noun time phrase in Hebrew can govern more than one finite clause
coordinated by w-, then . . ."  That he would make a comparison with English
does not signify that he is relying on English.  Sometimes I get the
impression that the two of you would disagree on any very simple matter
simply for the sake of disagreeing - and I mean both of you.

GfSomsel