bereshit (translations)

Peter Kirk Peter_Kirk at sil.org
Mon Mar 18 17:06:00 EST 2002

Ian, if I see convincing evidence that a b-noun time phrase in Hebrew
can govern more than one finite clause coordinated by w-, then I will
concede my point. But I will consider convincing only evidence which is
accepted by the majority of modern English translation teams. I note
that it is perfectly possible, good English and not poor style to do
this in English, when there are only 2-3 coordinated subordinate
clauses, as in "On the day that I chose Israel and swore an oath to him,
I..." But I have not seen any such example.

Peter Kirk