bereshit and mereshit.

Lisbeth S. Fried lizfried at umich.edu
Sun Mar 17 19:55:56 EST 2002

I accept Rashi's opinion primarily because once
taking Hebrew from Dan Fleming in grad school at NYU,
 I mis-translated something and was very embarrassed.
 In fact it was this very thing,   that a VSO clause should be
a pluperfect, that it does not move the narrative along.
So I went home and looked it up in Gesenius, and there it was,
and so I checked in Rashi and it was there too, so there you are.
The story we were reading was the story of Dinah. Then I
noticed that this VSO thing popped up everywhere.
There have been other things too, which suggest that Rashi
knows what he's talking about.
So that's why.
Liz