Canon(ical) Criticism

Christian M. M. Brady cbrady at tulane.edu
Sat Mar 16 15:03:25 EST 2002

On 3/16/02 2:01 PM, "Lisbeth S. Fried" <lizfried at umich.edu> wrote:

> Hmm, maybe you're right, but maybe we're both right,
> maybe it's the same thing. When Childs interprets the
> text of the Book of Isaiah, it's canonical form is it's meaning as part
> of the *Christian* canon, and the present meaning of that canon
> includes the whole history of its interpretation in the church. At any
> rate, he's not concerned with what the historical Isaiah is trying
> to say.
> Liz

You had me until the last sentence. I have not looked at this commentary in
10 years, but in his commentary on Exodus he certainly examines all of the
historical critical issues AND the historical context. I cannot imagine that
he did not at least examine the historical context/message of Isaiah. Maybe
he did, but I would be surprised...

Cb
cbrady @ tulane.edu
--
(Below is a quote that was randomly generated by Entourage.)
"Why can't you make another word using all the letters in 'anagram'?"