Question: Off topic? More

Ken Smith kens at 180solutions.com
Sat Mar 16 14:30:22 EST 2002

> > So it isn't on the
> > grounds of
> > mere theological prejudice, but as the result of an informed and
> > critical reading of the Christian tradition, that I have no
> > objection
> > to the NIV's choice of "virgin" in that passage. After all,
> > the NIV is
> > trying to translate the Christian canon, and not the Jewish.
> >
> > Does that make sense?
>
> No.
>
> Liz Fried

Now, Liz, you're starting to sound like some other members of this forum
:-).  Surely you have a more articulate response than that in your
repertoire!

I suppose it's possible that you just didn't understand what I was
saying -- but since I'm pretty much just parroting what the folks behind
"canon criticism" (however that's to be understood) have been saying for
the last 20 or 30 years, and I don't think I was entirely unclear in my
explanation, do I presume that your problem is with the larger field of
canon criticism?  Or with my particular application of it?  Or . . . ?

Still taking the bait,

Ken Smith