Question: Off topic? More

Moshe Shulman mshulman at ix.netcom.com
Fri Mar 15 14:28:38 EST 2002

At 03:05 AM 3/15/02 -0500, Randall Buth wrote:
>shalom Moshe,
> >All translations involve compromises and
> >hard decisions, knowing that you are doomed to err because the two
> >languages, Hebrew and English are so different. (BTW this is not the case
> >with Arabic, or other Semitic translations.)
><
>I would prefer to say "all translations". I am always disappointed with the
>Arabic translations. A related language is still a different language, a
>different
>network of 'spaghetti'. And the culture is different. And history. A
>language
>encodes a culture, a culture is encoded in a language. You cannot truly
>know one without the other.

I understand this. However the difference between English and Hebrew is
many times greater. I do not know Arabic at all, but I can recognize some
of the words when I hear them as being the similar to Hebrew.

moshe shulman mshulman at NOSPAMix.netcom.com    718-436-7705
CHASSIDUS.NET - Yoshav Rosh       http://www.chassidus.net
Chassidus shiur:                  chassidus-subscribe at chassidus.net
Chassidus discussion list:        chassidus-subscribe at egroups.com
Outreach Judaism                  http://www.outreachjudaism.org/
ICQ# 52009254    Yahoo/MSN Messaging: mosheshulman