bereshit

Peter Kirk Peter_Kirk at sil.org
Fri Mar 15 05:20:03 EST 2002

No, your method here is fundamentally flawed. It is a simple linguistic
error to hold that a word or phrase can be understood apart from its
context and that putting it into context is secondary.

I have always accepted your reading as a possible one, but consider that
my one is preferable on the balance of probabilities. I was never
arguing more than that, and hoping that you would recognise that my
reading is also a possible one.

Peter Kirk

<snip>

> >If verse 1 is not a separate unit, it
> >can only be understood in its context, which is what I was
discussing.

> One works from the data first, then puts it in context.

<snip>