Question: Off topic?

Moshe Shulman mshulman at ix.netcom.com
Thu Mar 14 20:13:24 EST 2002

At 04:14 PM 3/14/02 +0000, you wrote:
>Dear Members.
>I've a question that I would apprectiate your thoughts
>on. Whilst not strictly on the Hebrew scriptures it is
>connected.
>Q: What good reasons are there for studying the Old
>Testament Scriptures in Hebrew?

Ian, I would say that when you know the Hebrew well enough you will find
that no translation satisfies you. All translations involve compromises and
hard decisions, knowing that you are doomed to err because the two
languages, Hebrew and English are so different. (BTW this is not the case
with Arabic, or other Semitic translations.)

moshe shulman mshulman at NOSPAMix.netcom.com    718-436-7705
CHASSIDUS.NET - Yoshav Rosh       http://www.chassidus.net
Chassidus shiur:                  chassidus-subscribe at chassidus.net
Chassidus discussion list:        chassidus-subscribe at egroups.com
Outreach Judaism                  http://www.outreachjudaism.org/
ICQ# 52009254    Yahoo/MSN Messaging: mosheshulman